Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Unknown...

That is always my thought at the beginning of the school year...what does this year hold for me?? I always seem to have this sense of dread, not knowing what I'm going to be dealing with. I never sleep well the night before the first day of school. Actually, I usually start dreaming school dreams several weeks before the kids arrive (and they always involve me feeling super stressed!). And then...the first day. The kids show up, they are so little and cute, and it doesn't seem so bad after all. Kids have a way of making me feel more optimistic...and making me laugh! I guess that's why I ended up being a teacher. :)

There are some things that I do know about this school year:
1. The Lord is good and is in control. It is comforting to know that he is good and perfect, and that he has been preparing me for this year already. He did say "Do not worry...", right? :)

2. For me, it is only going to last about 6 months.
Baby Kirksey will be here around February 27, so I'm going to be missing the last part of the year. This is a wonderful thing! I am so looking forward to being a stay-at-home mommy, plus, the timing works out so that I'm missing all of the TAKS testing! :) Anyone who has administered a TAKS test knows that those are great days to miss!


3. I'm probably not going to feel like myself. Not having been pregnant before, I don't exactly know what to expect, but I know my body is going to be changing...a lot. I'm looking forward to those changes (I think that's the science teacher in me!), especially since this is something that I've wanted for quite some time. I have decided that I'm going to enjoy this next 6 months and complain as little as possible! However, (and this is the whole unknown thing again) I don't know how it's going to affect my students. I still want to keep up my creativity and energy, and hopefully I'll be able to do that!

4. I have great teachers to work with. My fellow 6th grade science teacher is a great friend whom I have worked with for the past 4 years. She is so helpful, funny, and loves the kids! I love ya, Lesley!! Also, my team members are just awesome. Two of them were on my team last year, and I am so glad to be back with them this year. And, there are 3 teachers on my team who are new to the school, and they all seem wonderful so far. Plus, there is my sweet friend, Shevawn (who was on my team last year, but has moved on to new challenges at our school), and she is a great source of laughs and support!

5. I am not going to have any bad kids this year. OK, so I don't actually know this, but this is what I have decided in my head. There's enough to be negative about going in to a school year, so I have made the decision to think positively about my kids. I often forget during the year to praise them for doing good, and only focus on what they're doing wrong. They all do good things (some more than others!!), so I'm planning on spending more of my energy looking for those good moments. Maybe opening my eyes to those things will make all of the other stuff...the unknown...not so bad after all.

14 comments:

Shevawn said...

yea! You are a blogger! I hope you get a lot of rest this weekend to gear up for Monday! I love you !

Greg said...

Welcome to bloggerland, sweet Sarah! You write so well for an East Texas girl! (just kidding) Looking forward to many pictures, too!
ILYSM, Dad

Elizabeth said...

Yay! I am so glad you have a blog now! You will definitely go on my favorites list!

JoshuaBontrager said...

Sarah, I'm so excited about your blog. I can't wait to read about your pregnancy experience and everything else. To give you a little comfort about the pregnancy/teaching thing (hopefully), I know I wasn't the same, but it all worked out! I remember one day while I was teaching during my first trimester, I was sitting on my stool, eating saltines and thinking, "I know words are coming out of my mouth, but I have no idea what I'm saying." The kids were looking at me and I guess they were getting it! But really, the kids LOVED me being pregnant. They had as much fun as I did in watching my body change.
And your changing body will be so fantastic! Although I didn't like being tired and sick feeling at first, once that was over I loved seeing my belly grow and feeling Aidan move around. You will cherish every squirm and kick. It was awesome to feel Aidan hickup for the first time.
I can't wait to see pictures of you! We love you guys!

Zach and Alyson said...

Yea the Kirkseys have joined the blogging world. I hope that this weekend is restful for you before starting school on Monday. I'll be thinking of y'all as I drive through the school zone on Monday morning. Love ya girl!

Tyson said...

Josh -

I never noticed your body change, but I guess I wasn't looking that closely. I'll try to be a better friend.

Tyson

Beth said...

Hey Sarah! I love the new blog and I hope you have a fantastic first day of school! I love you!

JoshuaBontrager said...

Tyson-How insensitive of you not to notice! You would think from the way my comment was written that Kyleen wrote it! ;)

Dana said...

Hi Sweetheart,

I love you, love your new blog, love your husband, love your new baby, love that you're a teacher. Did I leave anything out? Anyway, I'm praying for you. Love, Mom

the libbys said...

yeah yeah yeah! i told you since you're having a baby you had to start a blog. its the rules! :) i'm still pushing for february 25th! its a great day to be born!

Megan said...

Yea for the Kirksey blog. Some families in Peru will be very thankful for these posts. I looked on Facebook to get your email and there it was... a KIRKSEY blog address. Thanks for putting the time in and enjoy the ride the next 6 months. It only gets better from there. :)

Kyle Smith said...

Sarah,

I'm glad you're doing this. Larissa and I were very sad we didn't get to Dallas, we wanted to see you two and celebrate with you. We're praying for your school year and pregnancy and we are very excited to see baby Kirksey!

Sarah said...

Hey there! First of all congrats on being pregnant. You are just going to love it. Having a baby is so much fun and stressful and tiring all at the same time, but soooo worth it. Best of luck to you this year and I can't wait to read more!

Brittany said...

Hey Sarah and Tyson,
I stumbled on your blog from someone else's and I'm so excited to see that you guys are expecting. How fun! Children are such a blessing. Wishing you all the best during your pregnancy- you're going to love it! ~Brittany Skloss~